Monday, August 24, 2009

This is Where I Say "Doh"

A week ago Saturday Harrison's Klean Kanteen went missing at a church dinner - right off the table. Ugh! Two and half years we've schlepped that canteen around - countless trips to Disneyland, museums, parks, the zoo, the beach, play dates at school - only to lose it at a church function, inside the building. Bummer.


After friends searched for it for me (I'm 30 miles away from that church) I broke down and ordered a new one online. I told Harrison we getting a new canteen. The new canteen arrived on Friday and I opened it after Harrison was in bed.

If felt different and it seemed smaller. It wasn't smaller...

but it still felt different.

Saturday morning I pointed out the new canteen to Harrison, he picked it up. a look came across his face and he packed it back in the box it had arrived in and said, "I don't like it, it's not the same. I'm sending it back."

(I didnt' say a word to him about the night before.)

Anger ensued on his part for a good portion of the morning over the canteen issue.

And then it dawned on me. We have had that canteen in hand EVERY day for two and half years!
Every day.  We both knew the exact feel and weight of that container, it had become an old friend...

Why had I not seen it before?

The Klean Kanteen had transformed into a kind of Security Blanket for Harrison. He depends on that water bottle being always near by, and yes, it has even gone up to bed at night with him on occasion. (It has a non-leaking sippy attachment that doesn't leak - something else I had to replace.)

Harrison's Kateen on a play date with my friend's triplet Kaneens.


So my child is overly attached to his canteen. Who knew! Apparently not me.
Then again, I think I really did know - I just didn't put two and two together fully.
The good news is, Harrison and his new Kanteen getting aclimated with each other; I think this is the beginning of a {long and} beautiful friendship.
 If you want to know why we use a stainless steel canteen rather then any other type of sippy cup/ water bottle, I'll give you the quick list. 
  1. Easy to keep and clean
  2. Lightweight and DURABLE
  3. No leaching of plastics
  4. No concern of BPA 
  5. Reusable, reusable, reusable.
All I can say is that we  LOVE our stainless steel canteens.

1 comment:

Yara said...

bummer it got lost! we have at least a dozen klean kanteens in various sizes, and now colors, in this house. They are so easy & great!